Michaela D. Scheihing is the founder and Managing Partner of Southeast Law Group, P.A. Her practice area includes first party property insurance coverage disputes, including arson and suspected fraudulent insurance claims. Prior to entering law school, Michaela spent seven years working in law enforcement as a deputy sheriff and crime scene investigator. This background and experience are invaluable in Michaela’s handling of SIU claims. Following the unprecedented 2004-2005 hurricane seasons in Florida, Michaela litigated a vast array of large commercial losses as well as residential claims. She remains active in numerous professional organizations, having served on the Board of Directors, and is a Past President of WIND, FACAP and the Florida IAAI.
- Mercer University, Walter F. George School of Law, J.D. 1991
- Barry University, B.P.S., 1988
- Indian River Community College, A.S. 1985
- The Florida Bar
- United States District Court for the Middle, Northern and Southern Districts of Florida
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeal
- Florida Advisory Committee on Arson Prevention (“FACAP”); Past President 1997; Member Board of Directors 1995-2000.
- Fire Investigators of Florida (Legal Advisor); Past President; Member Board of Directors 1998-present.
- International Association of Arson Investigators
- The Volusia Bar
- Windstorm Insurance Network; Past President; Member Board of Directors 2005-2014
- Chapter 2.05 “Appraisal” Co-Author with Marjorie M. Salazar, Property Insurance Litigator’s Handbook, 2nd Edition, American Bar Association, May 2013
- “Discrimination Claims: Must The Insurer Defend Or Indemnify Its Insured?” Co-Author with Janet L. Brown, Federation of Insurance and Corporate Counsel Quarterly, Fall 1993 & Summer 1995 issues.
- Certified Circuit Civil Mediator
- Martindale-Hubbell “AV Preeminent” rating
- Super Lawyer, Insurance Coverage, 2020